Greensboro News & Record
The News & Record is the largest newspaper serving Guilford, North and the surrounding region. It is based in Greensboro and produces local sections for Greensboro and Rockingham. As of 2011, it had an average weekday circulation of about 57,500 and an average Sunday circulation of about 87,000. The newspaper began as two smaller papers, The Daily Record and the Greensboro Daily News. The News & Record began with the Daily Record which was first printed in 1890 in Greensboro. An afternoon paper, it was begun by John Benson, Joseph Reece, and Harper J. Elam. The Daily News was a morning paper founded in 1909, an outgrowth of the recently-defunct Daily Industrial News. The Daily News and the associated company, the Greensboro News Company, grew quickly; acquiring the other morning paper, the Greensboro Telegram in 1911 and in 1930 acquired the Daily Record. In the early 1980s, the Greensboro Daily News and the Greensboro Record began gradually consolidating their operations. By March 1984, both papers were combined to the News & Record.